2018 ERC CREATIV Workshop 3
The third ERC CREATIV Workshop will be held from 23 may to 25 may 2018 at the Maison de la Mutualité in Paris. The purpose of this hand’s-on session is to deepen our understanding generative design approach for supporting creative activities, instrumental interaction and substrates, and brainstorm how we can extend these principles in new directions, taking advantage of the participants' existing research with creative professionals.
About this workshop
Welcome to the third annual ERC CREATIV workshop. Our long-term, admittedly ambitious, goal is to create a unified theory of interaction grounded in how people interact with the world. Our principles of co-adaptive systems, instrumental interaction and substrates offer a generative design approach for supporting creative activities, from early exploration to implementation. This year, we will try to deepen our understanding of these basic principles, and brainstorm how we can extend them in new directions, taking advantage of the participants' existing research with creative professionals.
This is a hands-on workshop, not a mini-conference, so you do not need to prepare a talk. However, we do want to hear about your work, which we will use as the foundation for our discussions. We have planned evening events, including a cocktail at Michel and Wendy's apartment on Tuesday evening, a dinner cruise on the Seine on Wednesday evening, and a visit to the Musée d'Orsay followed by dinner on Thursday evening. The workshop will be held at the Maison de la Mutualité in Paris.
|Wednesday 23 May||Thursday 24 May||Friday 25 May|
|1 rue Ernest Cresson||Maison de la Mutualité||Maison de la Mutualité|
|18:00 Cocktail||8:45 Welcome||8:45 Welcome|
|9:00 Introduction||9:00 Plenary|
|10:00 Show 'n Tell|
|12:00 Discussion||12:00 Presentations|
|12:30 Lunch||12:30 Lunch|
|14:00 Group work||14:00 Group works|
|16:30 Presentations||16:30 Presentations|
|17:00 Discussion||17:00 Closing|
|17:30 End||17:30 End|
|19:30 To dinner||19:30 To dinner|
Details and places
Wednesday 23 May
18:00 Cocktail (1 rue Ernest Cresson - RER/Métro: Denfert Rochereau )
We'll have beer, wine, soft drinks and juice, as well as various things to eat.
However, if you would like a full dinner, you can find a number of great restaurants next door, on rue Daguerre. We recommend Café Daguerre and Perêt.
Thursday 24 May
8:45 Plenary session (Maison de la Mutualité, Métro: Maubert Mutualité)
Overview by Wendy & Michel, with illustrated short demonstrations by Ph.D. students.
Introductions by participants, with an optional three-minute (max) video or demo.
Discussion of proposed activities and the goals of the workshop, with lunch discussion topics.
12:30 Lunch (Maison de la Mutualité, Métro: Maubert Mutualité)
14:00 Group work (Maison de la Mutualité, Métro: Maubert Mutualité)
Warm up: Redefine selected interaction techniques/systems in terms of these principles.
Main exercise: Select examples from participants, reframe and then extend with the principles.
Final presentation: Describe and discuss the new technique/system.
20:15 Dinner (to be announced)
Friday 25 May
8:45 Group work (Maison de la Mutualité, Métro: Maubert Mutualité)
Video prototyping in small groups of the new technique/system.
Final presentation: Present each group's video prototype.
12:30 Lunch (Near Maison de la Mutualité, Métro: Maubert Mutualité)
Half group : Café St Victor, 11 rue Monge
Half group : Bon Vivant Restaurant, 7 rue des Écoles
14:00 Plenary session (Maison de la Mutualité, Métro: Maubert Mutualité)
Discussion of what we learned, remaining challenges and where we go from here.
19:30 Dinner (to be announced)
Places & directions
Wednesday evening, 23 May 2018, 18:00 - 21:00 Cocktail party
1 rue Ernest Cresson (corner of Avenue General Leclerc) 75014 Paris Métro or RER B: Denfert Rochereau
Getting there: It's a 3-4 minute walk from the main RER station at Denfert Rochereau. • Keep to your left when you exit through the main doors of the main exit (sortie).
- You'll see a street with a center strip in front of you (René Coty), and a traffic circle with a park in the middle (Place Denfert Rochereau).
- Cross the street (René Coty), towards the café Lakanal and continue until you reach Avenue General Leclerc (a short block). The park is on your right.
- Turn left onto Avenue General Leclerc (at the Indiana Cafe). and continue down the street for two blocks to the post office (La Poste).
- Cross at the lights to rue Ernest Cresson. (We're on the side with the Armand Thiery store.). The first (huge) door on the left is 1-3 Ernest Cresson.
- Look for the intercom on the right side of the door. Press 611 and the "bell" and we'll buzz you in.
Thurdsay, 24 & Friday 25 May 2018, 9:00 - 19:30 Workshop
The Maison de la Mutualité is a beautiful 1920's building on the corner of rue St. Victor and Rue de Poissy. The workshop is in the Pontoise room–follow the sign at the entrance.
Métro: Maubert Mutualité (line 10) or Métro: Jussieu (line 7) RER B: Saint Michel Notre Dame Bus: lignes 47, 63, 67, 86, 87, 89
Parking: Maubert Collège des Bernadins or PLagrange maisondelamutualite.com (+33 01 83 92 24 00)
- From Saint Michel RER station Get out of the station and orient yourself with respect to the Seine.
- Walk along the Quai, keeping Notre Dame to your left.
- Turn right onto Rue Lagrange (after passing Shakespeare & Co. and a small park) and then turn left onto Rue Monge.
- Continue past Blvd. St. Germain. The road forks just after rue des Bernadins; take St. Victor two more blocks.
- From Maubert Mutalité station Walk along Blvd. St. Germain, past Rue des Carmes.
- Turn right onto rue Monge. The road forks just after rue des Bernadins;
- take St. Victor for two more blocks.